INTERVIEW - AN INTERVIEW WITH AN AWARD - WINNING NIGERIAN GOSPEL PRODUCER, MR GREENWOX


SATURDAY SPECIAL

Mr Greenwox is one of the best Gospel Producers in Nigeria and has over time been able to establish himself in a comfortable position in the Nigeria Music Industry. His creativity and innovation has made him carve a niche for himself and has made him wanted by both Gospel and Secular Artistes in Nigeria. He has produced for so many musicians some of which include Solomon Lange and Jeffrey Akkoh who won MTN Project Fame in 2015. Its always beautiful when we listen to Gospel Songs and we are taken to another realm. Aside from the sweet voice, meet the man behind most of the beats acclaimed to many Gospel Artistes Songs.

The C.E.O and Administrator of Emete's Mind Blog, Grace Smart, had the opportunity to have a one - on - one interview with Mr Greenwox. Enjoy!

A BRIEF INTRODUCTION

My Name is Josh Ugbenyo Generally known as Mr Greenwox, one of Abuja'Nigeria finest music prodigy and reasons for this acclaim is not far fetched with my extensive music experience dating far back as my primary school days and owing to my family's long music background. I give music lovers a reason to love music the more. 

From my sleek accoustic riffs, adventurous base lines and ecstatic drum patterns to my pristine mixes which makes me laud excellent dynamism as a music producer.

Aside music production, I am a B.sc holder of University of Agriculture, Makurdi. I studied Maths/Computer Science

WHEN DID YOU PROFESSIONALLY GO INTO MUSIC?

Over 20 years ago.

I play the bass guitar. Thats what I was known for first. Been doing little music production and engineering. But I professionally started music production full time in 2011.

HOW WAS THE ACCEPTANCE LIKE WHEN YOU JOINED GOSPEL MUSIC INDUSTRY?

Gospel Music was my foundation. So, its much easier for me to do. That doesnt mean I dont produce secular songs. I have produced for a secular record label here in Abuja in 2014. I believe in moral content.

I decided to face full time gospel music prodution when God delivered me from an autocrash. We were six and just me and the driver survived. God opened my intellect more in interpreting gospel music in my productions

HOW MANY GOSPEL ARTISTES HAVE YOU PRODUCED?

Am not sure I can go down with that list. But I've produced a lot of them. I enjoy developing upcoming artists. I currently signed one of them. His name is Oche. You gonna hear a lot about this guy soon. He has a song out already called 'Dear God'  http://ge.tt/api/1/files/79QsxnM2/0/blob?download

I've worked with autograph records artiste in Lagos - Hope LEVI, Femi flames, J DESS, Fidel (gracesong records), Jeff Akor - MTN Project Fame Winner 2015, Samsoft (Boston), Dunsin Oyekan, Chris Morgan, Kingsley Ike, Solomon Lange, Nimix, Evans Ighodalo, Ehis Oghiata, Eze Pro G, Joan Omofomah, Jay R. I am currently on a project with Steve Crown etc.

WHAT CAN YOU SAY ABOUT THE NIGERIAN GOSPEL MUSIC INDUSTRY?

Its growing and I pray for more Grace and for more growth. But I think we need to do more work so that it will be the secular world emulating us. I think the gospel industry will do better if the gospel artistes carry purpose in mind about their music ministry. And if they focus on their indidvidual purposes, we will do exploits. Gospel music/songs are now monotonous because we dont hook up to our source (GOD) for inspiration. We copy secular soundtracks seeking for attention. What happened to our creativity or we copy a trending gospel song at a particular time and everybody follows the trend.

God has not run out of ideas. We also need to have a long term plan about a particular song or album we release. Do all you can to spread round the world which will be in fulfillment of the great command Jesus left before He ascended up to Heaven

    'Go into all the world...'

With the internet now, our song can go where we cant physically go. And we should also seek God's face not fame. When God announces a man, no man can ever denounce that man.

DO YOU THINK THE NIGERIAN GOSPEL MUSIC INDUSTRY IS MAKING THE RIGHT PROGRESS COMPARED TO ITS MATE AT THE INTERNATIONAL LEVEL?

I think we are making head way, but majorly what we need in this country is consistency. The tides have changed now. The western world love and appreciates our songs now even more. Before we invite international singers to Nigeria and other parts of Africa but now I think they are the ones hosting us more because we've got content.

HOW WERE YOU ABLE TO ATTAIN YOUR PRESENT LEVEL AND HEIGHT AS A MUSIC PRODUCER?

My story how I got where I am today is very short. I learnt music production on my own in 2011 and every year since then was a step higher. I setup and managed 3 studios between 2012 and 2015 and now am on my own. Its not been easy but consistency has helped me to achieve this much. This is not where I want to be but I know how far I have come. When I look behind me, I see people I use to look up to now hooking up with me to assist them. People I have around me are also musically sound and so, it has been of great value to me. 

WHERE DO YOU SEE YOURSELF IN THE NEXT 5 YEARS?

In the next 5 years by God's Grace, I should have won Grammy Awards International endorsement. And my dream is to build a 20k seater theater hall, where all forms of multimedia services can be handled.

ARE YOU IN A RELATIONSHIP?

Yes, I am in a relationship and on the road to getting married soon.

WHAT SHOULD WE BE EXPECTING FROM YOU AS A GOSPEL PRODUCER?

I am not a singer but I can write songs.

Am putting together and EP album to be released on May 4th 2016 featuring some upcoming and well known artistes.

I chose the brand name Greenwox which is just the interpretation of works or product that are evergreen and fresh in season and out of season.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME, MR GREEN WOX

I do appreciate you too! Keep it up and God bless Emete's Mind Blog!

Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments: