HOW TO BE A GOOD PERSON (CONT.D)



In the previous article on this subject matter, I wrote about being in Christ and the advantages we have and also elucidated a bit on why we are still prone to temptations even after accepting Christ. I have to tell you that this article was inspired by a singles talk I listened to on my phone. The young pastor titled the talk - WHO YOU SHOULD MARRY. Its very interesting and insightful and I so wish I could share it with y'all.
Now, like I earlier said, our good deeds didnt win us to Christ but for the Love of God. His Grace is sufficient for us. However, I wanna talk on 'being good' in another context. This context is not the context of using one's good works to win salvation. This context is purely on how to survive temptations and still remain in the circle of God's righteousness by displaying good works.

This can only be expressed in one thing called - LOVE. Love is one of the greatest personality of God. It is an attribute of God. It is God - Personified. We hear talks about Love daily but we fail to understand the concept of Love. We hear preachings about Love but we fail to express it. Is it that we dont really grasp the real understanding of Love? The answer is a big fat YES.

Let's study some Bible Verses on Love that can make us understand better.

Romans 8 vs. 39

  neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Isaiah 43 vs. 4

 Others were given in exchange for you. I traded their lives for yours because you are precious to me. You are honored, and I love you.

 John 3 vs. 16

  “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life


Romans 5 vs. 8
 
 but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

1 John 4 vs. 9 - 11
 
  In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.
 
1 John 4 vs. 7 - 8
 
 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God.  Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love.

1 John 3
 
 See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are. The reason why the world does not know us is that it did not know him
 
John 13 vs. 34 - 35
 
 
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.  By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

I want to assume that we patiently read these Bible Verses because I know its most likely that many of us just skimmed through or skipped it. I would be glad if you go back to read the Bible verses very well if you simply skimmed or skipped it. If we have, lets continue our 'good' talk.

From the verses above, we can see that God is indeed Love - Personified and He has shown us Love through various means and Jesus who is God also commanded us to Love because He knows that Love is very important. No one can claim to Love God if they dont love their fellow humans and you cant claim to love your fellow humans if you dont love God.

The reason why we still struggle with attitudinal disorder and wrong behaviours with our fellow human is because we have missed it on the aspect of Love. The Bible says we should love our neigbour as ourselves but we have come to realize that there are some people that dont even love themselves in the first place. So how will  they now love their neigbour? Thats why Jesus in His infinite wisom said in 

John 13 vs. 34 - 35
 
 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.  By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
 
So now we dont have any excuse to give God. Jesus has said we should love one another as He has loved us. And How did He love us? He loved us immensely, totally, absolutely. How amazing it is that while we were even in our sins, He still loved us! So you cannot decide to hate the sinner who fornicates, drinks, fights, lies or do all sort. You have to hate his sins but not the sinner himself.
I have been able to build upon Love when I understood this concept. Now, I have no problem interacting with others. I do not hate anyone and I do not seek to hurt anyone. Even when others hate me, hurt me, lie against me and do all sorts, I will still love them. WHY? Because when the pharisees did same to Jesus, He still loved them and prayed to God to forgive them for they dont know what they are doing. Indeed, they didnt know what they were doing.

When I see people misbehave, I term it as ignorance. They do not know what they are doing because if they do, they will not act or do such things. Love is patient. Love will make you humble. Love will make you happy with everyone. Love will make you go the extra mile for people. How then do you love?

  1. Firstly, Love God. This is the most important. If you Love God GENUINELY, so many problems will be avoided. During sunday school in Church, a woman who has been experiencing bitterness in her marriage said something that amazed me and exposed me to another side of love. She said the reason why a woman would choose to still submit and love an abusive husband is because such a woman has loved God. And when you love God, you cannot just hate your fellow human being no matter what. It is the love of God that will keep you and make you endure so many things like Jesus endured on the cross. If not, you will over react.
  2. Secondly, express Love to others through extension. If you love God, you will obviously love others. Practise Love always with the help of the Holy Spirit.
If you love your neigbour, you wont think of their downfall no matter what. Even if they are thinking of yours. The Bible says, vengeance is the Lords. Why dont you keep loving and praying for the salvation of their soul and let God deal with them. It hurts me to see people use abusive languages like 'stupid, mad, the 'f' word' etc. If you love God, such words will be abominable to you. Majority of today's slangs arent even expression of God's love.

If you want to be good, start loving. God loves us not because we are good but because He is good. A good person will always love. Like I said earlier, I am talking about being good in the context of surviving temptations in human relations and not in the Biblical context of being a good person to impress God. May God help us to love Him and our fellow humans in Jesus Name. AMEN!

Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments: