THE THINGS GOD HATES - SERIES TWO



So in Series One, we discussed the first thing God hates which was taken from the book of Proverbs 6 vs. 16 - 19. We also did an indepth study on the first thing God hates which is Haughty Eyes. We said it can also be likened to a proud look as used in other Bible versions. Our Bible Version for this series is the NIV Bible. On series two, we will be discussing the second thing God hates.
Let's revert back to the Bible Verse in study

Proverbs 6 vs. 16 - 19

 There are six things the Lord hates,
    seven that are detestable to him:
17         haughty eyes,
        a lying tongue,
        hands that shed innocent blood,
18         a heart that devises wicked schemes,
        feet that are quick to rush into evil,
19         a false witness who pours out lies
        and a person who stirs up conflict in the community.

2. A Lying Tongue

Without much ado, it is evident that God hates lies a whole lot. Jesus is the way, THE TRUTH and the life. You cannot be a follower of Christ if you are one person that cannot do without telling a lie. At one point or the other in our lives, we are always moved to tell one lie or the other so as to please people or not get embarassed. We have all lied one way or the other. I used to be a terrible liar when I was a little kid...lying was my hobby. I usually lied so as to see people's reaction. Most times, I called it a 'joke'. However, the Bible has said something about Jokes in the book of

Ephesians 5 vs. 4

 and there must be no filthiness and silly talk, or coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks. - New American Standard Bible

 Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks. - King James Bible

Coarse and foolish talking or crude joking are not suitable, but rather giving thanks. - Holman Christian Standard Bible

Many Christians tend to get involved in the thing God hates called lying by referring to it as a joke. Well, joke or no joke, you lied. Even when I grew up, for a long time, I used to be a serious joker without knowing people counted me as a liar behind my back. To me, I didnt mean any harm. I just wanted to joke for the moment and enjoy myself and laugh. Most times, I forgot to tell people that I was joking and when people remind me later about something I said which I joked about, I would be perplexed, haing forgotten I joked about it and people took me seriously. It almost spoilt my image and someone had to open my eyes that joke or no joke, all are called lies and the devil is the father of all liars.

There are different ways and reasons why we lie. It could be about our age. For a very long time, I lied about my age because I have this very big stature and people would never believe me when I tell them my age. So, when I was 14, I lied I was 17. When I was 15, I lied I was 20 just so that I won't get people amazed. It could be about our location. This happens most often when we are expected to be in a place and we aren't there and we start lying that we are almost there when we are instead just getting out of bed. It could be about abilities. Many times, we tend to want to impress people and so, we start lying about things we can do that we actually cannot do.

It could be about wealth. The not-so-rich ones tend to lie about their wealth and riches that they can only dream of. It could be about an action. We all did this when we were kids. We lied that we didnt do something so that we wont get flogged or scolded when we actually did it. Many adults still lie about their actions. There are too many reasons why we lie and it all leads to destruction. Lying breaks friendship. Lying breaks marriages. Lying causes a barrier between an employee and the employer. Lying breaks families. Lying breaks relationships. Lying breaks the relationship between God and you. And who is the father of all liars? Its obviously the devil.

Another common reason why people lie is because of money and possessions. Someone comes to ask you for money or something you have, why dont you tell them you wont give them rather than lying that you dont have? Lying is very bad and as we can see, it is one of the things God hates. If you are a liar, please REPENT like I did. Here are some Bible verses concerning Lying.

Genesis 3 vs. 4

 And the serpent said to the woman, You shall not surely die: (Obviously, the serpent lied and this caused the death of mankind and the birth of the lying spirit in humans)

Leveticus 19 vs. 11

 You shall not steal, neither deal falsely, neither lie one to another.

Proverbs 12 vs. 22

  Lying lips are abomination to the LORD: but they that deal truly are his delight

Proverbs 13 vs. 5

 A righteous man hates lying: but a wicked man is loathsome, and comes to shame

Proverbs 14 vs. 5

 A faithful witness will not lie: but a false witness will utter lies.

Proverbs 17 vs. 7

 Excellent speech becomes not a fool: much less do lying lips a prince

Hosea 11 vs. 12

 Ephraim compasses me about with lies, and the house of Israel with deceit: but Judah yet rules with God, and is faithful with the saints.

John 8 vs. 44

 You are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father you will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and stayed not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

Acts 5 vs. 3

 But Peter said, Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land? (Ananias lied and he paid dearly for it - he died!)

Colossians 3 vs. 9

  Lie not one to another, seeing that you have put off the old man with his deeds;

Revelations 22 vs. 15

 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and fornicators, and murderers, and idolaters, and whoever loves and makes a lie. (The aforementioned are those found in hell. Hell = Death...for what life have you in hell?)

As we can see from the above scriptures, the result of lying is death. Lying is that serious! I beseech you my friends to stop lying if you have been lying before. Stop from today because lying is an evident of spiritual death. Never lie to anyone careless of whatever they might say or do. The Holy Spirit can never dwell in the life of a liar. Its not worth it! I pray God will help you in Jesus Name. AMEN!

Tomorrow, we will be discussing the third thing God hates. Keep a date! Have a Good Evening!

PHOTO CREDIT - www.scpeanutgallery.com


Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments: